The Manufacturing industry consists of the mechanical, physical, or chemical transformation of materials, substances, or components into new products.
Establishments in the Manufacturing industry are often described as plants, factories, or mills and characteristically use power-driven machines and materials-handling equipment. However, establishments that transform materials or substances into new products by hand or in the worker's home and those engaged in selling to the general public products made on the same premises from which they are sold, such as bakeries, candy stores, and custom tailors, may also be included in this sector.
The Manufacturing industry subsectors in high-demand in the Houston-Galveston area are:
- Petroleum & Cool Products Manufacturing
- Basic Chemical Manufcaturing
- Agricultural & Structural Metals Manufacturing
- Machine Shops, turned Product, & Screw, Nut, & Bolt Manufacturing
- Other Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing
- Agriculture, Construction, & Mining Machinery
*Includes the following counties: Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Colorado, Fort Bend,